Wednesday 3 July 2013

Simplify, simplify III

A warning first: this is going to be a very picture-heavy post...but as I played around with a lot of new stuff from DecoArt today, I wanted to show all the yummy effects in detail.

This is the finished project (for those who do not want to read all the how to stuff ;):



I recently made a nice bargain, buying a wood panel with a vintage style printed image on it (which I
simply ignored and covered with a thick layer of white DecoArt Gesso ;) which I wanted to alter, for only 2 Euro. Now its time had come :)

After covering the panel with white DecoArt Gesso, I used DecoArt Traditions 'peaceful words" and TCW "Mini Ledger" stencils, and some texture paste to add some dimension.


I stamped the lovely images from Artistic Outposts "Old Grist Mill" stamp set onto the
panel, using DecoArt Traditions "Burnt Umber", dapping the colour onto my stamp with a piece of rough kitchen sponge. Be sure to clean your stamp immediately afterwards otherwise the acrylic colour won't get off once dry.







After that had dried I dry brushed the raised areas using DecoArt Traditions "Burnt Umber" and DecoArt Americana multi-surface Satins "deep turquoise" and "muted gold". I also applied the colours randomly to the whole panel using a bristle brush and only very little colour at once, thus leaving some of the brush strokes visible.



As you can see in the picture I also rubbed on some DecoArt Metallic Lustre (I used "Gold Rush", "Iced Espresso" and "Champagne Ice") to add some warm "autumnal glamour". I applied the Metallic Lustre with my fingers mainly, rubbing some of it off with a damp cloth when necessary.

I used DecoArt "OneStepCrackle" on some spots and rubbed in some burnt umber DecoArt Traditions acrylic colour of which I wiped off most afterwards to have the remains show the crackles.


I especially highlighted the edges of the panel with the Metallic Lustre, applying it quite generously.


I love the combination of the colours with the crackle and the Metallic Lustre!
Then I added some more stamping with burnt umber DecoArt Traditions acrylic colour to add some depth and detail.


Some of the images and sayings were stamped onto some white card, cut out and distressed at the edges using a carpet knife and Distress ink "walnut stain" and the blending tool. I also added some DecoArt Metallic Lustre with some parts of the edges, trying not to work too precisely.





Some of the edges I also embossed using Fran-tage "aged aqua" embossing enamel and the heat tool.


The main image was fixed to the panel using matte DecoArt DecoPage, which can also be used as a sealant. I paid attention to let some of the corners without DecoPage, so they look more "collaged" and not too proper.


Some finishing touches with more DecoArt Metallic Lustre - done!

I hope you like it! I tried to capture the warmth and glow of a late August summer sun and used the deep turquoise rather moderately as a contrast which makes the warm golden tones shine even more.


As usual I leave you with some close-ups that also are meant to show a bit of the how-to. Thank you for stopping by and staying with me this far!

I enter this panel to The Artistic Outpost's July referral program and SimonSaysStampandShow's "Anything Goes" challenge

Hugs,
die amelie x










More Mixed Media and Altered Art Tutorials from some very talented fellow crafters and artists can be found over here

24 comments:

  1. Das sieht ja fantastisch aus (:o)Die türkisen Highlights springen mich natürlich sofort an und die verschiedenen Techniken kommen super rüber. Obwohl ich gefühlsmässig auf den Sommer warte und noch nicht an Ende August denken mag.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning! Great depth and texture with fabulous color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wunderbare Farben und Techiken ! ein tolles Werk !

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool, great post, I love looking at all those detailed photo's. Gorgeous piece.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank goodness for those close ups Claudia. Love all that stencilling and crackle and the way your stamps have worked with the paint. Looks like you had loads of fun doing this. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh ist das schön, soviele Details und Techniken! Ein wunderschönes Werk!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boah - das ist einfach nur traumhaft - so unglaublich vieles zu entdecken und so eine stimmige Zusammenstellung!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's really wonderful, Claudia - great paint and crackle effects, and they give a real depth and interest to the piece. I love those stamps, as you know, and I think you've used them beautifully. A great make.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh... and thank you so much for playing along with us at Artistic Outpost, of course!
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW was für ein atemberaubendes Werk, unglaublich schön *schwärm*

    LG
    Anke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow Claudia, this is completely amazing!!!! I totally LOVE it! So many brilliant effects with those wonderful Decoart products! Stunning and great step by step!! I for one am really glad for all the photos. as it really shows all the amazing detail that makes this such a stunner!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is gorgeous! I love all of the details in this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely wonderful Claudia.
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent work, such wonderful layers and colours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowowow, Claudia, das ist ja ein grandioses Werk geworden. Toll, wie Du die Mühle in Szene gesetzt hast. Echt meisterlich

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!!!! Das ist wirklich grandios, kann mich da den anderen Kommentaren nur anschließen!!!! Spitze!!!!

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hier passen ja wohl Struktur, Coloration und Motive perfekt zusammen. Ein traumhaft schönes Kunstwerk liebe Claudia!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Really pleased for you to have a SSS&S spotlight for this amazing canvas Claudia. So well deserved. Congratulations, hugs Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  19. YOur canvas is amzing! Congrats !!!!! Barbarauaua

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats for being a spotlight artist over at Simon Says Stamp & Show, your artwork is just gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well done your spotlight over at SSSaS for this gorgeous canvas Claudia! Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh -- what a beautiful piece. I really love the images stamped with the acrylic paint. What a gorgeous way to highlight those grist mill stamps. The details are incredible. Congrats on your spotlight at Simon Says Stamp and Show! -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your textures are amazing! I am going to be going through this in more detail to try some of it - thanks!! Congrats too:)

    ReplyDelete
  24. You have me drooling over here! The textures and colors are spectacular and so much for the eyes to take in! Love it and thank you for entering this at Artistic Outpost!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx