Sunday 3 May 2015

"The Magic in a Timeless Smile" - May Tag for Tim Holtz' "12 tags of 2015"

It seems like ages since I did my last tag, but yesterday, when I saw Tim's actual May tag for his 12 tags of 2015 I was so inspired that I had to directly head off to my crafting desk and get out all my thoroughly hoarded Tim Holtz stuff to involve in several hours of happily messing and creating with Distress paints, modelling paste and stencils, burlap, loads of idea-ology and other treasures from my stash.

And this is the result which I am quite happy with:




As I don't have most of the new stuff Tim uses on his May tag, I had to improvise with some of the older idea-ology bits 'n pieces, which I think still look as intriguing as ever as they are timeless as is the smile of the lovely lady from the photograph ;)

Using white modelling paste and one of Tim's fab stencils I added some texture to the top left corner of my tag. Once that was dry I gave the whole tag  and stencilled areas a rather rough treatment with various Distress paints and water from the spray bottle.




The edges of the tag were darkened using my "frayed burlap" Distress marker while the tag was still wet. That way the paint from the marker got soaked right in and I got a smudged, softer outline.




I created a "rose-y" pendant for my swivel clasp using a sheet from the lovely "Wallflower" paper stash and an idea-ology fragment. As I don't have the new Sizzix florals dies Tim uses on his tag, I wanted to at least incorporate some roses in a way.

To make the game piece match the colour scheme of my tag I painted it with Distress paint "picked raspberry". The other tones I used on my tag (mainly for adding colour to the burlap and stencilled texture) were "mustard seed", "broken china" and peeled paint". I also used them to paint my little wooden button, arrow and heart. 







 The word band was painted the same way and I used broken china Distress paint to make the letters pop out and also repeat the colour from the woman's dress and eye shadow and also the paper rose (which I made using the TH "Tattered pinecone" Sizzix die).




The adorable vintage flower button is an older idea-ology piece too (and I am happy it finally found its perfect home).

The word band was fixed to the tag using a thin leather cord that is glued in place at the back of the tag.




For a finish I glued some creamy white quillings to the bottom of the tag and added a  (previously distressed) ribbon of the same colour to its top. The repetition of that colour helped blend in the accoutrements flower button and the woman's face. And it also draws more attention to the woman's face as it repeats the skin tone.




Repeating shapes and colours you use with your project (in variations of shape and amount) in different spots always helps "fuse" all your elements to a greater "whole" and "keep them in place".




The photograph was coloured with Distress markers the way Tim describes in his post. I sanded and scratched the edges with the TH distressing tool before I glued all my elements and the chit chat stickers (which I blended in with Distress markers) to their advised spots. For a finishing touch I added some drops of DecoArt Liquid Glass for dew drops (which were meant to emphasize the flowery style of the tag). I saw and totally admired that with some of the wonderful creations from my lovely and awesomely talented friend Laura from Laurart and decided to "borrow" that brilliant idea from her. (I am afraid one can guess this was my first attempt....she does them so much better and so beautifully...lol).





I had a great time playing around with embellishments, paints, composition and highly textural stuff! And I really wanted to put her adorable smile in the spotlight (and I hope I succeeded)!

Hugs and happy crafting,
Claudia xxx 

http://timholtz.com/category/12-tags-of-2015/







44 comments:

  1. Great take on Tims tag
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. great tag, like how the colours on the burlap bring out the texture of the material. Off to make rose fragment tags now! EE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolut gelungene Kombination, sogar ein Blümchen gedreht ;-)! LG Kerstin xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome take on the tag this month! I love the layers you crated and the edges of the burlap are inked stupendously! I am going to have to get some of that Liquid Glass! Awesome sauce! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so know what you mean. I havent done a Tim Tag since the beginning of this year because I have been all kinds of busy with a host of other things. When i saw this month's tag - I was like, I actually have all that stuff so maybe I should do one this month. Your tag is AMAZING. A timeless smile will outlast any box of make-up! Thanks as well for always saying such lovely things on my blog - it heartens me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shining colours you brought to the nostalgic theme of Tim's tag, and the way everything is "fused " like you explain. And the drop on the earring of the lady!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Claudia,
    The burlap base of the Tag won me over immediately, the liquid glass drops are a zing and the finishing elements are wonderful. This is a very tactile Tag....love it.
    Smiles:)
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful rendition, Claudia! I quit regularly making Tim's tags but this one caught my attention, too. And then you make this and it's even more inspiration and now I just have to give it a go as well. :) Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful you have done her smile justice! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this is Awesome love all your Gorgeous Embellies and what a Fabulous Base!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous tag Claudia,I love the level of details and I think it may very well be a winner ;)
    Thank you so much for leaving such a sweet congrats on my blog too :)
    Big hugs
    Donna xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tag is absolutely stunning and your photos are spot on. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow - das ist einfach großartig!!!! Ganz großes Kino!
    Ich wünsche dir eine kreative Woche. Liebe Grüße, Dagmar

    ReplyDelete
  14. toll! wieder ein schönes, kreatives teil, liebe Claudia!
    glg
    margit

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a sensationally lovely tag!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your tag, it's gorgeous !
    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stunning tag! It caught my eye as I was scanning thru the others on Tim's blog and I had to come find out more about it! Simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  18. a gorgeous take on the tag, love all those details x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gosh Claudia, that was quick. Gorgeous tag, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore this tag! Every little detail is perfect! Amazing work! Barbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amelie, adoré tu trabajo.
    ¡Abrazos!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Seriously beautiful. What a wonderful rendition of Tim's May tag - love every part of it. GLORIOUS! j

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fabulous tag and I adore the netting frill! Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your version Claudia, beautiful xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. I can't believe I missed this, Claudia! You got your Tim tag done early, too! Look at you go!! I really love those brighter shades of paint that you've got in your background :) The frill of the quilling you have attached at the bottom of the tag creates such a romantic feel--Oh, and then you've used one of my favorite, older, rose buttons, too! (I just reclaimed one from an old card!) :) Just a fun rendition of Tim's tag :) OH--LOVE those drops of DA Liquid Glass, too! That's Coool! Good Luck!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fabulous take on Tim's tag Claudia, love your frilly edge. Congrats on your win with it. You must be thrilled.
    Hugs, Julie x

    ReplyDelete
  27. Congratulations on your well deserved win Claudia!! Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Really like all the details you used on tag, especially the frilly edging on bottom. Gives it a very feminine feel. I had not really seen anything like that done before! Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Huge congratulations Claudia! So pleased for you. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  30. OMG! Your tag has a tutu. I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Beautiful interpretation of Tim's May tag, love the ruffle along the bottom edge and the sentiment you used. Congratulations on being chosen as one of Tim's May winners!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Congratulations Claudia! This is a spectacular tag and well deserved win!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Fabulous take on the tag, Claudia - only just catching up with the news, so yay us!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on your tag win!!!! Yahooooo! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congrats for being chosen a May Tag winner...There are so many things I like about your tag...Love the little "skirt" on the bottom....and the soft colors on the burlap add such a happy tone...I think my favorite thing is the rose pendant hanging from the chain...Oh and the DecoArt Liquid Glass was a pretty cool addition...I will have to check that out...I wonder how different that is from Glossy Accents...Thanks for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete
  36. Congratulations on being featured as one of Tim's favorites for May, Claudia. Your tag is beautiful and has such interesting and supportive elements to it. Well choreographed!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this fabulous design and the elements you used! Congrats on being one of Tim's winners this month...well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Well done on the tag and on being chosen as one of Tim's May winners! Certainly SO well deserved! Love the little details of Liquid Glass and the frilly petticoat trim!

    ReplyDelete
  39. wow oozing with rustic gorgeousness .....perfectly spectacular x

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow Claudia what a magnificent tag! A HUGE Congratulations to you! Love the background and droplets. Karen.x

    ReplyDelete
  41. Beautiful tag Claudia. Your tag is beautiful and I love the droplets...I will have to give it a try. Congratulations on your May tag win!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations! Your photographs are just wonderful in showing off your tag.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Hi Claudia!!! I'm back to craft blogland and so glad to see you among the winners for Tim's May tag. So fantastic ... the repeated shapes ... the colors of your paint ... the drops on the photo ... the quilting at the bottom!! Wonderful take on his tag. Congrats my friend!! Can't wait to see what else you have been up to. -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations! Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx