Wednesday 1 July 2015

Steampunk Tic Tac Toe - the Great SASPC Summer Special Challenge

Hello, servus and welcome to today's start of our great summer steampunk special challenge over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges!

As most of us will be on holidays during the next weeks we decided to have this challenge run from the start of July until the end of August - which gives you all two months time to create and enter a project! There are also fab prizes to win (yes, prizes!!! ;)

And who doesn't love and enjoy a round of happy, messy, crafty, artsy Tic-Tac-Toe.....!
So my wonderful DT ladies helped me find a lot of yummy ingredients and I made a (rather sketchy) grid for our challenge:

http://sandee-and-amelie.blogspot.com/2015/07/our-great-holiday-summer-special.html
(click on image to enlarge)


Steampunk Tic Tac Toe is played by choosing one of the horizontal, vertical or diagonal lines' ingredients to use them on your project.

I went for the diagonal line the deep sea, metal paints and crackle and created another shadow-box! (those who already know me know how much I love to create shadow-boxes). ;)




My son loves all those mysterious and wonderful deep sea creatures - and so do I! So I created this shadow box for him and it shows his two favourite animals: the giant squid and the sperm whale  (which is one of my favs too).

They are UmWow Studio laser cut pieces which I covered with a coat of acrylic paint and a coat of clear DecoArt media Crackle Glaze after the paint had dried. The white DecoArt media Antiquing Cream finally made the cracks visible and I think it really looks quite close to a sperm whale's skin! Yay!




The images of the aquanaut and the sunken ship are from an Oxford Impressions stamp set and I painted them with diluted DecoArt media acrylic paint before I fussy cut them and glued some thick foam board pieces to their backs.




For the background of my box and for the deep sea landscape I used designer papers and scraps. The silver-y bubbles were stamped on using DecoArt Metallic Lustre and a 3rd Eye stamp.




The aquanaut's helmet, boots and belt were painted with DecoArt Dazzling Metallics paints.




The black smoker was created using a torn scrap from one of my old Gelli prints.



The box I used for my shadow box was a lid from a(nother) chocolate box I had to empty for the sake of art.



The outside of the frame was painted with DecoArt Chalky Finish paint as it adheres to slick surfaces without any preparation. The sunken ship got a coat of DecoArt media Quinacridone Gold. Because of the paint's translucency the stamped image shows through without any loss of detail!




I hope you like my little deep sea adventure! And I would love to invite you to hop over to our challenge blog and check out the creations of my wonderful teamies who have - as usual - outdone themselves!



I wish you all the most amazing, wonderful, happy, relaxing, inspiring, fun,....holidays and hope to see you over at our summer special challenge during the next two months!

Hugs and happy crafting,
Claudia xxx





11 comments:

  1. Wow Claudia, I love love love this shadow box. Great work xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooooooo cool Claudia!!! Love the shadow box idea for this challenge. Depth -- perfect for the deep sea. And that crackle finish on the whale -- AMazing!!!!! The torn paper pieces for the ocean floor elements are truly inspired. Love the cube "SEA" pieces. Seriously -- so much fun! Hope to play along this month. Hugs -- Mary Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Einmal abtauchen bitte ;-), fantastisch und es sorgt für erfrischende Abkühlung :-) LG Kerstin xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia I bet your son loves this shadow box and most probably imagines himself as the diver. As always I am a great fan of crackle and the background of bubbles and cogs are brilliant. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must have been hard to empty the chocolate box for the sake of art, but we do what needs to be done. Lol. I bet your son loves this wonderful shadow box! Love the texture on the whale and your design is flawless. Awesome sauce design and LO! Hugz! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a deep-sea wonder, Claudia!! You've included so many adventurous elements, including those natural enemies--I'm just a bit worried that the Sperm Whale & Giant Squid are going to be having it out at any time!! LOL :) :) Thanks for taking us under the sea with this Awesome shadowbox!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claudia, I love this! Awesome deep sea shadow box! I am thinking Jules Verne when i look at this. Love your crackly whale and the deep sea diver. Love this challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wieder einmal ganz, ganz super!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely one of my fav "Sea" shadow boxes ever Claudia. You did so INCREDIBLE with it - layering, building dimension, the crackle on the whale, the colors.... it's all just really GREAT. WOW. j.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely wonderful - you did an amazing job creating the scene.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx