Monday 7 January 2013

"Behind Closed Doors"

...is the current challenge at DragonsDream Tag It On and they want to see a door, a lock and a key.

I am also entering Fashionable Stamping Challenges with this tag as this fortnight "Anything Goes".

I did my very first of the Tim Holtz "12 tags of 2013" yesterday (which you can see here) and that made me browse through Tim's tags from last year, where he shows some great techniques. One of them (the September tag) was the faux riveting using self adhesive metal foil and a retractable pen to create rivets. (Go check it out - it's really worth seeing). Well - I have no self adhesive metal foil, but I do have that fab embossing folder...but I really wanted to try that alcohol inking and sanding with steel wool he shows in his tutorial!



Looks great, doesn't it?

I tried to express my thoughts about our dreams we so often do not dare to live... as if we kept them locked behind safely closed doors so we would not have to face the opportunity of them being shattered... but on the other hand they remain unfulfilled opportunities we might have missed. It's not at all easy having dreams and dealing with them the right way.

And maybe there is something waiting behind these closed doors we only yet did not think about? Wouldn't it then be worth looking?

Back to the tag: I embossed some silver metal foil with the Sizzix "Texture Fades" Riveted Metal embossing folder and then gave it a treat with Alcohol inks. I removed most of them using steel wool (love the traces of the scratches rough steel wool creates!) and glued the silver foil onto some cardboard and punched a hole for the ribbon.



Lock and key were made with the "Alterations" cutting dies. I coloured them with the metallic Distress stains and sprinkled some Fran-tage embossing enamels on them to achieve some texture. After heat embossing I inked the edges using black ink and a small piece of a rough kitchen sponge.

For the background of the stamped door image (from Darkroom Door - another of my awesome X-mas presents!!!) I stamped some script using Distress ink "vintage photo" and tore the card to size instead of cutting it. Some more stamping, glueing and distressing, some embellishments (a castle, where our dreams are kept safe or a castle built on air e.g.) - wallaah!

Hope you like it!
Hugs,

die amelie xx



I tried to take a picture showing the metal... not so sure about that... hope you can see what I wanted to show. xx


14 comments:

  1. Wow, gorgeous Claudia! Such amazing work with the alcohol inks both on the riveted background and on the clip. Your lock and key look wonderful too... altogether a beautiful tag! And lovely thoughts about dreams too... thank you for sharing them.
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claudia, I really enjoyed reading your analogy of doors and dreams, made me think of a title for your tag, "Open the door to your dreams"...you illustrated it very well with the door image and the dream definition! waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boah, das ist ein traumhaftes Werk geworden, Claudia. Ich bin hellauf begeistert. Sehr schöne Details und liebevoll gearbeitet.

    Ich wünsche Dir eine schöne Woche

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, richtig faszinierend!!!! Wie kommst du nur immer auf diese Ideen!!!! Toll!!!! Absolut genial!!!!

    Dankeschön auch für deinen Kommentar auf meinem Blog, das hat mich sehr gefreut!!!! :-)

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful tag Claudia. Love the layering and those wonderful embellishments which really bring the whole piece together. There is so much more inspiration in each of Tim's tags - enjoy! Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Claudia I love your tag and all its elements! The faux metal is sumptuous. I now want that lock and key die too! and the frantage on it is fabulous. Brilliant storytelling. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boah Claudia, das ist wieder mal irre schön, supergenial gewerkelt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving what you've done with this technique.
    Thanks for visiting my blog and commenting on my very first tag for Tim's 12 for 2013 challenge - hopefully like you I will be looking back at Tim's tags for 2012 and having a "play" - I remember seeing this technique and thinking it's one I'd love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wie genial, dein Tag sieht wunderschön aus. Die Hintergrundtechnik kommt super raus. Vielen Dank für deine Teilnahme bei Dragons Dream Tag It On und bei Fashionable Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A great tag with lots of interesting details!

    greetings, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love all this grungy goodness! Fabulous tag and great way to start off "2013." Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  12. genial! ich bin begeistert! das war ein Volltreffer, dass DU jetzt eine Präge-Stazmaschine hast ... das sieht so toll alles aus!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A fabulous tag and a great take on Tim's one. Thanks for linking to the 'Surprise Us' challenge at FSC.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Claudia, Love the AI effect on the embossed foil and your theme of 'behind closed doors' on this tag.
    Thanks for joining our challenge at FSC
    Avril

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx