Monday 1 December 2014

Double X-mas Challenge Whopper

Servus and welcome!

Today sees the start of the final X-mas countdown as well as the start of two new challenges! Yay!

Well, honestly they are rather one and a half challenge. But I'll explain later. ;)
Are you all well in time with Christmas preparations? Or do you still have no clue what to give to your FIL this year? lol
Anyway I hope you are all enjoying the advent season, having a good glass of punch, some sweet roasted almonds, Stollen and gingerbread!

Why the "double whopper"?
Because I am on two DTs whose challenges for December start today...and over at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges we have decided to celebrate the X-mas season with you instead of doing a classical Steampunk challenge. We are well aware that most of us are busy crafting away with X-mas presents and cards, baking cookies and decorating and getting the house clean for the holidays. So Steampunk might be a bit out of focus right now... but there is still a prize to win for December (and it is a fab $25 voucher from Inspiration Emporium - so you shouldn't miss this one!). So if you want to know how to join in our celebration (and get eligible for the prize win) just click HERE to get to the challenge blog and post.

Our Creative Corner have set up a wonderful challenge for you that will take you deeper into a fabby, shabby, vintage, crafty X-mas mood (if you aren't there already ;)
"Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas!" is the December motto and if you click HERE you get to Alison and her challenge post to learn more about the details. 

AND this is a "Double Whopper" post because I have two projects to share with you - one for the Steampunk friends and one for the lovers of Our Creative Corner.


Both are ornaments - my favourite crafting projects for this time of the year ;)
 The steampunk ornaments were made from Memory Glass, self adhesive copper foil tape and glued on metal embellishments. Papers used are from Spellbinders.




The "collector of memories" pendant was made from a sanded down facetted Maya Road ornament that was given some alcohol inks and a Tim Holtz idea-ology rub on quote.


My chunky ATC for Our Creative Corner was made from three layers of thick corrugated card which I glued together and wrapped some thin cord around before I went on with embellishing and stamping.




I had a joyful play with various designer X-mas papers (from Authentique and Kaisercraft), washi tape, buttons, distress goodness, wire and stamping some Oxford Impression images.





For the steampunk ornaments I simply spread some gilding flakes from Indigo Blu on top of the cut out papers and "sealed" them with the top glass layer. This way they got pressed and crumpled which I think looks pretty cool.




To glue the clip and the metal stars and gears in place I used E6000 which works terrific with non-porous surfaces!


The rusty bell and the other pendant were fixed to the ornaments with jump rings.

For my X-mas quote on the chunky ATC I found some very cool looking white on black letter cubes (which were originally meant for use with loom band bracelets)! The red tinsel behind them hides the "wrong" side of the "X-mas" so you can look at the ATC from both sides.




The little bunting is self-made and has a piece of glued on designer paper on the back that matches the other side's design.



Both - the chunky ATC and the Steampunk ornament - can (and will) be hanged on the X-mas tree! I especially love that the chunky ATC is so light because it is made of corrugated card. Maybe I will do some more of these... ;)








The memory glass is rather heavy. So I might have to look for a stronger branch to hang these to...by the way...I really fell in love with the Spellbinders "Ephemera Papers" from Susan Lenart Kazmer while creating my steampunk ornaments!




***

Well...that should be it for now. Oh - no!...I almost forgot: make sure you check back with SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges on December 15th! There will be a special announcement that some of you might find exciting too. ;)

I hope to see you over at both - OCC and SASPC - soon! Have a joyful, relaxed and fantastic advent season and as always

hugs and happy crafting,

Claudia xxx



Generous prize sponsors for the challenges this month are:

http://www.tando-creative.blogspot.co.uk/

over at Our Creative Corner

and 

http://www.inspirationemporium.com/
  
at SanDee&amelie's Steampunk Challenges




14 comments:

  1. I absolutely love your chunky ATC - so inspired to make it from layers of cardboard, with the fab grungy look, and the twine wiring is so cool! Such a fun touch with the tinsel too.

    And your steampunk ornaments are fabulous! Hope December is kind to you...
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. As usual, I am surprised and happy to see your fine things for your Christmas tree, great and wonderful idea.
    Hugs Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Claudia, all of these makes are amazing!! I love that your Christmas ornaments still have that definite steam punk feel to them, I really, really love them I have to say, the chunky ATC looks brilliant too, - at first I thought it was a little book, stunning details on that one also! Fabulous, all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these are so cool. Love the feeling and design of all the pretty little things. :) Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jetzt weiß ich auch wie ein chunky ATC aussieht, echt kreativ, künstlerisch und mit einem tollen Spruch! Die Steampunktags sind der Hammer, echt cool und sehr innovativ, super gelungen! LG Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know where to start!! I just love everything you've made for both challenges!! Your chunky ATC is an inspired idea and I adore the little image on the front with all the extra elements from the bunting to the tinsel, to the lovely curled wire. Inspirational.
    Those ornaments for your own challenge are so creative and original too. They are each a little work of art and the copper tape and the glass drops make them look amazing.
    One very clever lady!
    Have a good week.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christmas is around the corner... with some perfect ornaments for the christmas tree and the deck.
    Have a good december with hot chocolate, cold champagne and many inspiration.

    Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing creation, love it!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Claudia!! These projects, All of them are breath taking!! Your creativity just amazes me every-time!
    Gorgeous and fantastic! Well done my friend!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. My Dear FRIEND Claudia, What GREAT, FANTASTIC, CREATIVE Pieces you have created.. not really sure where to start at this point... but they are all .... well .... items that I have to put on my list to do and create... very inspirational and very FUN... I love and adore the memory class ones... how great.. never would have thought of that for ornaments... and I have to make a small tree to take to someone... and guess what it is going to be covered with??? Memory glass ornaments... THANKS a million... now the little corrugated paper one... I just love how you built that up and then went on... so lovely... love the rustic look to it and the little child... so very 'summery'... lol... love the saying... oh dear... so many things to do, in such as short lifetime of desires... where ever does the time fly away to in my life. Anyway... my friend... I love these... and know that you know from the bottom of my heart, that I will be thinking of you when I pull out the memory glass to play... LOL... and it will be fun... wish you could be here to mess up my studio with me... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! What a fantastic collection of projects! Love the vintage images and all the distressing! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Claudia, loving this collection. I especially like the way you've made the chunky ATC, that's a great idea.
    Happy crafting, Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Echt ungewöhnlich, und wie immer ungewöhnlich klasse gemacht, sind deine Hängerchen. Ich liebe deine fantasievollen Arbeiten sehr. Ich hoffe dir geht es gut und du kannst den Advent streßfrei genießen.
    Alles Liebe und eine schöne Zeit bis zum Fest.
    Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Like always I would just repeated myself...awesome, gorgeous, stunning...I will check all entries I missed, but will no more comment, because I left without adjectives...sorry my dear friend... I really mean that your hands are magical and every single piece you make is masterpiece!
    Hugs and kisses from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx