Thursday 1 May 2014

Heavy Metal Steampunk - the May Challenge over at SASPC

Servus and welcome back to my creative spot! I am so glad that you stop by and hope that you will leave my place inspired and motivated to join our Steampunk Challenge this month!

As always the 1st of the month is Double Feature Challenge Day with my place, remember? The new challenge over at Our Creative Corner is up too and you can find my DT project/inspiration and all information about the challenge theme by scrolling to the previous post.

But now it's time for introducing the new challenge theme over at SASPC (short for Sandee&Amelie's Steampunk Challenges *lol)! This month we want to see

"Heavy Metal"

.




We want you to use metal with your mixed media pieces, tags and cards or create the look of metal (or even take the theme literally). Think of the use of metal embellishments, about creating faux metal effects from paper, about heat embossing, creating patinas, rust, or simply enjoying the shine of pure metal used on your make.....the possibilities of interpretation are almost endless.
To learn more about details and challenge rules hop over to our challenge blog! I would love to see you play with us this month!

I had an aluminium sheet that had been lying around for ages in my studio and decided to use this for my DT creation for the May challenge. As I recently stumbled upon some awesome tin-types and fell in love with their look I wanted to try create a look that has some of that aged feel to it that I find so capturing with the tin-types. 


As it is very difficult to photograph the metal tag so you can see the shine of the metal AND the images I stamped to it, I hope I succeeded at least a bit in showing you both...in separate pictures.


I used a Darkroom Door background photo stamp and the gentleman and handle are from a Wendy Vecchi stamp set I recently won at a challenge. Before I stamped my background and images I gave the aluminium some colour washes of heavily diluted acrylic colours which I heat dried so they were almost "burnt" onto the surface. 


The handle was stamped onto a separate piece of aluminium and cut out. Then I fixed it to the main plate with two brads. 


The frame around the gentleman is one of my recent fleamarket finds. The band with the "Victorian in nature" is aluminium too, which I fixed with two brads after drilling two tiny holes using my Dremel. 






The handle with the steampunk banner on it was fixed the same way and given some light dabs of gilding wax afterwards for a more aged and patina look. 


Except the lace at the top and the ribbon at the bottom of my metal panel everything else is metal. I love that the stamped image is faded with some areas! 


I think in this picture you can see the metal best! Who would believe that it started all with a shiny new aluminium sheet?!



I hope you like it! My wonderful teamies from SASPC have prepared a lot of metal inspiration for you! You will find all kinds of "metal" - from faux metal effects created with card and/or paper to heavily used metal embellishments and more!






Hope to see you over there and that you give my teamies blogs a visit too!


Hugs and happy crafting,

Claudia x

I enter this project to Simon Says' Wednesday Challenges - "Anything Goes" and to Vintage Stamping Challenges' "Anything Goes" challenge too.And there's a new challenge blog in town - "Crafting At The Weekend" - where their very first challenge theme is an "Anything Goes" as well.

12 comments:

  1. Really awesome piece Claudia!! I love your colour choice and wonderful aged feel! I love it! Hugs from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous combination of metal and metallic effects to create a beautiful, atmospheric tag - it's wonderful, Claudia!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. ein Pracht, l,iebe Claudia! herrlich kreativ und so vielschichtig!!!!
    alles liebe und schönen feiertag
    margit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wieder ein echt wundervolles Steampunk-Werk von dir!!!! Spitze!!!!

    LG!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic love the effects you have created. Elizabeth xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW I love this Claudia!!!! It's so beat up and rough looking. Great inspiration for the challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow Claudia, such an amazing piece, brilliant combination of element to a simply fantastic effect, Love this piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Claudia i'm speechless! your works are always amazing! Hugs BArbarayaya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome tag, Claudia! I really love that handle. Thanks so much for playing along with the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge: Anything Goes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! This is so inspiring Claudia! I have a lot to learn! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your visit and especially for taking the time to leave me a short comment! This is highly appreciated! xxx